Skip to content

Support and advice

If you are concerned a student is being radicalised, you should follow your school’s standard safeguarding procedure. Additional support is also available.

Your first course of action should be to follow your school’s standard safeguarding procedures. This includes discussing any concerns with your school’s designated safeguarding lead, who may get further advice from the local authority.

For additional support outside of your school, you can:

  • Speak with your Prevent coordinator, Prevent Education Officer (PEO) or your local authority school safeguarding team
  • Contact your local police force or dial 101 (the non-emergency police number)

Contacting the authorities won’t get your student into trouble if a criminal act hasn’t been committed. The police and local authority will discuss your concerns, suggest how they can best help the child and give you access to relevant support and advice.

The local authority or police might suggest a referral to the Channel programme. This is a voluntary, confidential programme which aims to safeguard children and adults being drawn into terrorism. Channel can provide a support plan and specific interventions to protect those at risk, including mentoring support or an ideological or theological intervention.

You can find out more about Channel here, or call 101 for more information.

You can report concerns about extremism related to education settings in England, including allegations about institutions, staff and external people or organisations trying to influence settings:  

If you think someone is in immediate danger, or if you see or hear something that may be terrorist-related, trust your instincts and call 999 or the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.